Thursday, November 1, 2012

Let's Get This Party Started

Grandma Elsie used to rotate where she would spend her holidays (which of her kids wanted her).  We were always excited when our number came up.  She lived in Covington, and we saw her all the time, but she'd stay with us for a few days (if it was our turn) on holidays.  I remember getting everything I needed to have mended ready for her.  I'm actually not sure why or how this started.  She wasn't known for her domestic skills, but she seemed happy to fix those socks or underwear for you.

One year (I don't remember which holiday it was) it was our turn to have her.  And I was given the responsibility and honor of getting her drink for her.  I remember giving it to her once she got settled in, she took a sip, looked at me and said, "Kid, let me show you how to make a drink."

She then took me into the kitchen to instruct me in this very important matter.  I tried to hand her the shot glass, but she waved it away.  "We don't use those."  She then poured herself a whiskey and water, took a sip, looked at me and said words which I now live by, "Kid, it's better to have one really good one than a bunch of bad ones."

She was a character in the best sense of the word.  And I miss her every day.




1 comment:

  1. She sounds like a HOOT! And is making me think of beloved Aunt Nell, from hubby's side of the family...I always referred to her as a party person in a can. ;-)

    ReplyDelete